3.19.2008

Reading Life 26

Though I'm only halfway through, and though it has a copyright date going back to 2005, and though I've had it on my "Current Reads" list for several months now having read only a bit of it in that time, I'm finally getting to David Almond's Clay, and can say I am very much enjoying it. It's dark like Kit's Wilderness, but raw like The Fire-Eaters. It takes an age-old tale, older than Frankenstein even, and makes something newish with it. It's not just about wanting to make something living out of something very much inanimate, but more about how malleable a weak ego can be. I'll blog more on it later; for now, am enjoying it. There's something very gothic about this book, and about Almond's writing in general.

No comments:

On Glossaries and Italicizing

Author and creative writing teacher John Gardner contends that "the most important single notion in the theory of fiction" is that...