3.29.2008

Writing Life 16

This past week, Tuesday and Wednesday, I had a blast visiting with the 4th and 5th grades students of Cesar Chavez Elementary in the PSJA ISD and the 6th graders at Kennedy Elementary in Mercedes ISD, both awesome schools full of awesome readers in the Lower Rio Grande Valley of deep South Texas. I want to thank Clay Smith and Harper Scott of Texas Book Festival/Reading Rock Stars, two wonderful programs that have been running for a good while now (check out their work on http://www.texasbookfestival.org/), Dean Dahlia Guzman and Dr. Steve Schneider of UT-Pan American (COAH) and organizers of FESTIBA, and the librarians at the six different schools the authors got to visit for preparing the kids from K-6 in various ways, specifically Ms. Laura Bernal at Chavez and Ms. Elida Elizondo at Kennedy. And we can't forget their administrators for opening their doors to this brand of literacy advocacy. Apologies for this post to Ms. Bernal because though I had my camera with me, I am not used to carrying it and taking pics of where I'm at. And go figure, no pics of Clay and Harper either. Though Harper and the librarians have promised to forward to me the pics they took and as soon as that happens, I will upload those. Following, then, are shots of the authors, illustrators, schools, etc.


René Colato, author of I Am René, The Boy/Soy René, el niño

Amada Irma Perez, author of My Diary from Here to There/Mi diario de aqui hasta alla


Lee Byrd, author of The Treasure on Gold Street/El tesoro en la Calle de Oro

Antonio Castro, illustrator of The Treasure on Gold Street/El tesoro en la Calle de Oro



Thanks to Nancy, one of our UT-PA volunteers (along with Yesenia), for taking pictures at Kennedy. This one is of me, way off in the distance, reading "Kiss Me Kate" from The Jumping Tree on this very old, very cool stage talking to the kids.

Other authors in attendance at other schools were Diane Gonzalez Bertrand, Xavier Garza, and Carmen Tafolla.
More to come.

No comments: